Sunday, July 06, 2008

As of Monday, I'll be officially living in California. Finally!!! I'm so excited and happy about this life step/choice.

My move didn't go exactly as planned but then again few things in life ever go "as planned" and there's usually a reason why. Initially I planned on leaving FL on the 30th but I wound up leaving a couple days later instead. It was cool though because my mom was a tremendous help in regards to me organizing my belongings and figuring out what to ship later once I arrive.

I began my drive across country the evening of the 2nd. I had my SUV packed to the max with my bird Peaches in her cage in the backseat and my dog Panda keeping me company up front. My friend Amanda gave me an awesome tip as to how to secure my extra cargo to my roof rack via a "bungee web" (thanks chica!).

Everything was smooth sailing in the beginning. By the morning of the 3rd, I'd made it all the way from south Florida to the Louisiana border. Unfortunately that's where I encountered my first problem - my car semi-broke down. The problem is a known issue with Ford Explorers - check out this link (#16): http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer_Sport_Trac/2001/transmission/transmission_slips.shtml

Fortunately a really special person in my life helped me out by adding me to their AAA account. My car was towed to a little town called Jennings, La. It was the type of town that is about 3 or 4 streets and where everyone knows one another. Interesting experience to say the least. However the the family who ran the repair shop was incredibly nice and had me back on the road in no time and at little $$ cost.

The car problem wasn't totally repaired, but it was repaired enough to get me to my dad's house in Texas. After a good night's rest, my dad helped me see that my best option from Texas was to take a flight out to California from Texas and ship my car the remainder of the way rather than risk getting stranded in the desert.

Even though my journey out west wasn't as planned, it still went well. I think getting to spend time extra time with my parents was just what I really needed to prepare me for this relocation. I'm looking forward to working very hard over the next few years to reach my goals, and this journey has shown me that I have a lot more support than I initially thought I did.

I'm entering a new phase of life and I feel as if I really can do anything. One of the first things I want to do in California is become a certified makeup artist and hairstylist. I feel I have a bit of a talent in that area and those skills can prove to be very lucrative in the area I'll be living in.

As I've stated in earlier posts, I'm about done working as an adult performer in venues external to MonicaF.com - I enjoyed the experience, but everyone has to move on and usually I know when it's time for me to do so. I still do plan on directing, producing and distributing some adult flix of my own though :)

I'm looking forward to meeting lots of new and interesting people in California. It'll be a whole new world. I'm lucky to have the opportunity and the drive to live my life as I do. However I will miss my family and friends in Florida a lot - thank God for airplanes :)